Lack of smoke detectors concern officials PDF Print E-mail

Three recent residential fires have City of Oshawa Fire Services officials concerned, as working smoke alarms were not found in the homes.

Fortunately, all residents impacted by these fires escaped safely, but did suffer smoke inhalation.

An unattended candle was the cause of one fire which resulted in smoke damage throughout the main floor of the residence. Unattended cooking was the cause of the other two fires which resulted in smoke damage to an apartment unit and over $75,000 damage to the home in the other incident.

“Residents are reminded to not leave cooking or candles unattended. These types of fires are preventable, and safe practices could eliminate a fire emergency resulting in damage to your home which also could impact your personal safety”, says John Jeffs, Deputy Fire Chief.

“Owners and occupants of dwellings are reminded to check their smoke alarms and ensure that they are present and working properly as they are the key to occupants escaping a fire safely," says Susan King, Chief Fire Prevention Officer. "Smoke alarms are life safety devices that will alert occupants in the event of a fire emergency. The Ontario Fire Code’s minimum requirements state that smoke alarms are required to be installed on every story of your home and outside all sleeping areas. Fines for not complying range from $235 to $50,000”.